Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

August 24, 2010 in Home Safety & Maintenance

 

If you are a landlord or if you are rehabbing a house to resell, the safety of the people that will eventually live in the house is always a major concern. That is why it is so important to be certain that your furnace and other gas fired appliances operate correctly. If these items are not working property they may put out carbon monoxide. This can be deadly to the inhabitants of the house.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced during incomplete combustion of fuels.  It can escape from any fuel burning appliance, furnace, water heater and fireplace used in the home.

Low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning are often mistaken for common flu symptoms.  These symptoms may include mild headache, nausea and dizziness.  High levels of carbon monoxide may result in serious illness or death.

To enhance the safety of the inhabitants of the home, you should install a carbon monoxide detector in the areas around any gas fired appliances.  The detector sounds an alert when carbon monoxide is detected.  They only cost a few dollars to install and every home should have them for safety reasons.