I’m happy to have Trevor Mauch from Investor Carrot back for the 4th episode in this series of podcasts on entrepreneurship. Today we are going to talk about the secrets to hiring “A list” team members.
Some of you may not know that Trevor has a great blog too. If you want to learn about websites, marketing, SEO and much more you can check his site out by Clicking Here.
In the first 3 shows in this series we talked about mindset, productivity hacks (and why they don’t work) and the big goals trap. If you missed any of the 1st three podcasts you can find the links to those at the bottom of the page.
Not hiring soon enough is one of the biggest stumbling blocks that virtually every entrepreneur on the planet faces, but it’s especially important for real estate investors since they tend to be “one man shows” for way to long. They struggle with questions like when should I hire my first team member? How do I know when the time is right? Do I need an employee or should I just outsource some of the work?
Whether or not to start with employees or virtual assistants is somewhat an individual decision and there are many things to consider. The one thing everyone agrees on is that you need to hire sooner rather than later. Trying to do everything yourself will hurt the growth of your business, and it is the #1 cause of burnout.
Here is one thing to consider; hiring “A list” team members will usually save you money in the long run. So what are the secrets to hiring “A list team members”? Who are they and how to I find them?
- Outsourcing VS hiring employees
- Why folks wait so long to hire
- Trevor’s own experience
- Changing your mindset about spending the money to hire
- Hiring the right person for the job then letting them create their own processes
- Not looking just at the “price per hour” when choosing a worker; cheaper usually isn’t better
- Out of the box ideas for finding help
- The secrets to hiring A list team members
- How to decide which jobs to get rid of first
- Why hiring an assistant just might be the best choice (even for a few hours a week)
- Starting out with independent contractors rather than employees
One Thing to Implement Now
Whether you are ready to hire now or down the road, there is one thing you should do now and that is to decide on the first thing you will hire out. You need to be very intentional about this. Take a few minutes and do the exercise below.
Step 1. Pull out a piece of paper and draw a line down the middle of the page on both sides.
- On the front make a list along the left side of the page of things you love to do.
- On the right side of the page list everything that makes you money.
Step 2. Now flip the paper over.
- On the left side of the page list all of the things you hate to do.
- On the right side of the page make a list of things to “stop doing”. One of these things will be the first thing that you outsource.
I love this quote from Trevor Mauch –
“Get yourself out of being the spoke in the wheel. Instead, be the pedals on the bike that keep things moving”. – Trevor Mauch
You Can Listen to the Podcast Here
[podcast title=”Secrets to Hiring A List Team Members with Trevor Mauch part 1″]http://traffic.libsyn.com/letstalkrealestateinvesting/TrevorMauchLetsTalkRealEstateInvestinge51p01.mp3[/podcast]
[podcast title=”Secrets to Hiring A List Team Members part 2″]http://traffic.libsyn.com/letstalkrealestateinvesting/TrevorMauchLetsTalkRealEstateInvestinge51p02.mp3[/podcast]
You Can Also Listen and Download all of the podcasts on iTunes By ClickingHere.
Please do us a huge favor and leave us a review over in iTunes at the link above.
Miss Another Episode?
You can listen to the 1st three episodes here:
Resources Mentioned in this Podcast
- Dribble.com for graphic design work
- Carrot Websites – The BEST lead generation websites on the planet
If you want to schedule a 1 on 1 call with me to talk about specific strategies for building your brand and creating more effective marketing for your business, you do that here by clicking this link.
If you're not already subscribed to the blog be sure to do that today so you don’t miss any of the business building tips I have coming your way. I want this year to be your best year ever! And if you enjoyed this article, please share it.