Here we are again in the 1st week of the New Year with a clean slate. It’s time to make sure you have a good plan and to begin implementing your plan. Success doesn’t happen by accident. People that are successful have a plan; they create a road map for getting there. Today I want to recap some of my recent tips on how to think about goal setting, and give you some tools that will help with getting your business ready for success in 2016.
A couple of weeks ago I wrote an article called “Who Do You Need to Become”?
Not many people give a whole lot of thought to this, but great change almost always involves great sacrifice. Making big changes will almost certainly involve becoming a new (and better) you. These changes might be small but like Darren Hardy said in the Compound Effect, small changes implemented over time will make a huge difference in your life. Here are some ways you might need to change your “being”….
- Maybe you will have to become the person that gets up earlier, works longer, or simply vows to work smarter (even if you don't want to).
- Do you need to become the person that finally is on time? This is actually a hard habit to break for those folks that are chronically late.
- Maybe you need to become the person that keeps their commitments not only to themselves but to others. How many of us have said this will be the year we finally get fit; the year we put our health at the top of the list only to fall off the wagon in less than 30 days.
In this article, I also talked about 10 questions to ask yourself when you set out to create a lifestyle business. These are important questions that require honest answers. Entrepreneurs are in business to make money for sure., but what I have found is that there are two things that are even more important to most people than money. They want freedom, and they want to create a certain lifestyle for themselves. You can read that full post here.
Creating Your Perfect Year
Last week I talked about “Creating Your Perfect Year in 2016” and about asking some tough questions to help guide you through this process. Some of those questions were:
- What do you REALLY want out of life?
- If you could design it, what would your perfect life look like?
- What do you need to leave behind as you enter this New Year that you and you alone get to create?
- What are your big 3 or 4 goals for the year? (You shouldn’t have more than that). Before you can create a detailed plan, you have to be really clear on this.
Now on the surface you might say, “Those aren’t tough questions”. Well, actually they are. The reason is we tend to only ask for what seems easily obtainable. What I challenge you to do is to write down what you want as if nothing were off limits. Think big!
Becoming the Obvious Choice for Sellers
Today I want to talk about one other thing I think is critical for getting your business ready for success in 2016, and that is really defining how your business is different from everyone in your market.
Now this might seem like an odd place to talk about this but it’s actually the perfect time. While you are setting goals and plotting your course for 2016 you need to remember this:
Assessing the Competition
This is the time to sit down with a pencil and a pad of paper and just start jotting things down. Ask yourself:
- What do my competitors look like?
- How are we all alike?”
- What differentiates me and my business from all the rest of the real estate investors that are my competition? If there is no discernable difference, what can I do to change that?
- Does my website stand out? (I have some tips on how to do that in the articles below).
- How can I become more appealing to motivated sellers?
- What can I do better than everyone else in my market so sellers choose me over my competition?
Why Is this Important?
You need to do this exercise when setting your goals for this year because it will involve a plan of action for making these changes. If you want to be the one they choose, you need to know how to make yourself the obvious choice. I have some tips for you on how to do that. It’s also important to understand how sellers think today. I can promise you things are different than they were even a few years ago. So here is a reminder of just how to do that.
One last thing you need to think about is branding your business. In this article, I talk about the importance of how branding, lead generation and your website all tie together so check this out before setting your goals.
Getting Your Business Ready for Success in 2016 a Recap
I know this seems like a lot of “prep work”, but the better prepared you are going into the goal setting process the better plan you will be able to create. Ultimately the process of getting your business ready for success it’s built on a solid foundation AKA your plan.
If you’re not already subscribed to the “Inner Circle”, be sure to do that today so you don’t miss any of the business building tips I have coming your way. I want this year to be your best year ever! And if you enjoyed this article, please share it.