October 24, 2014 in Building Your Business
That is a powerful statement. If you stop and think about it for just a minute; these 11 words often tell the story of your success or your failure in life and in business. They certainly are the reason why we are where we are today. We all know that our actions today build our future. Why is it so hard to make the changes we know we need to make?
I have seen this very title; these same 11 words used in a number of articles and there was even a book written by Suzanne Evans with this same title. Today I would like to look at just how this applies to real estate investing.
The Why of “Why Your Business Isn’t Making More Money”
It’s time to look at the ugly truth. Things are a mess in your world. You have to do an overhaul of your mindset, your habits and commitment to make any type of big change in your life. Here is the first critical piece of the pie.
Mastering Your Mindset
The first thing you need to do is master your mindset. So what does your mindset have to do with anything? Everything! If you don’t believe that you can succeed, then you won’t. I believe it was Henry Ford that said something like, “Whether you believe you can or you can’t you’re right”.
It’s nice if everyone gets behind your dream it’s sure a lot easier, but it isn’t necessary for success. Sometimes you just have to muster the courage to step out into your own greatness; to follow your vision for your life. Now that takes the second thing and that is:
How committed are you to doing what you absolutely must do to reach your goals; to make it all the way to big dream? If you aren’t committed you may as well throw in the towel now.
Can You ?
- Make a plan and do whatever it takes to work the plan?
- Be scared as hell and do those “really hard” things anyway?
- Shut off that inner voice that is telling you that you aren’t smart enough, thin enough, educated enough and all the other stories that inner voice tells you to derail your best intentions?
- Make the sacrifices that will be required along the way? (Yes there will be sacrifices.)
- Scrap your old self sabotaging habits and create new ones?
- This is where the “metal meets the pedal” as the saying goes. Remember the saying; the way you do anything is the way you do everything? Let’s look at that for just a minute
Messes Mess with Everything
If your life is a mess; you can’t see the top of your desk, you have no idea where those bills even are that need to be paid (maybe they’re on the desk) and you’ve missed your last couple of appointments because you forgot to write them down, you are going to have to clean up these messes. get organized. If you need to start with your sock drawer just get started.
You simply cannot build a successful business until you clean up all your messes.
Ask Yourself These 7 Questions
- It’s time to get brutally honest with yourself when you do this exercise.
- What MUST happen now?
- What Must I stop doing?
- What beliefs MUST I change in my life to move forward?
- What habits MUST I implement now?
- What excuses MUST I ditch; the ones that are keeping me from being the person I could be?
- What anxiety is holding me back because I can’t get my life in order?
Next Ask Yourself these 4 Questions
- Am I willing to do what it takes?
- Am I really committed to doing what is necessary?
- Have I decided that failure is not an option?
- What am I willing to give up in the short term to have what I want in the long term?
The Simple Truth
If you get all of those little things in order; if you clean up all your “messes” whether they are actual physical messes or they are “mental messes” that are holding you back, you will finally move forward. In fact, you will take a giant leap forward in most cases. If things are a physical mess, then your attempts to start or grow your business will be a mess. And if your mindset is a mess, well you can forget it.
Here’s the Good News
You have it within your power to change all of this!
Next week we will talk about putting together a concrete plan. If you want 2015 to be a kick butt year, you need to start planning now. Remember that planning is what you do before you do anything.
If you are not already subscribed to the “Inner Circle”, be sure to do that today so you don’t miss any of the business building tips I have coming your way. I want this year to be your best year ever! And if you enjoyed this article, please share it.