In the second part of this 2 part series on direct mail statistics, I want to talk about split testing. As you know, split testing is when you test one (or more) things against another thing. In this case we are talking about split testing different direct mail pieces.
For example: Let's say that you have a list of 900 names on an out of state absentee owner list, and you have been using a yellow text postcard as your mail piece. Even though you have been mailing consistently, you just don't feel like you're getting the results you should be getting.
Once you have determined that your list is good, the next logical thing to look at is your mail piece.
Here is a fact: different direct mail pieces work better in some areas than others. Different mail pieces also work better for certain groups of motivated sellers.
Testing Different Types of Direct Mail Pieces
If you're not getting the results you would like from your direct mail campaigns, split testing your mail pieces is the only way to do that.
In this example we are using out of state absentee owners and a yellow text postcard. If I were to do a split test this is what I would do:
- Divide my list into 3 equal parts, dividing zip codes as evenly as possible. (You want the lists to be as similar as possible).
- Choose 2 other mail pieces (one for each segment of the list) in addition to the yellow postcard with black text.
- For the other 2 mail pieces I would choose a letter for one, and a more custom/ branded postcard for the other one.
- Set up 3 simultaneous campaigns using, mailing to 1/3 of the list with a different mail piece.
- and test for at least 7 or 9 months. Remember the rule: 81% of your deals will come at or beyond the 5th mailing.
Here are Some More Suggestions
- In this example you would have 2 different types of postcards and one letter, but you could also test 2 different types of letters.
- You could use a “series postcard” from a company like YellowLetters.com. (Use my name SharonVornholt for a 10%discount every time you check out).
REI Marketing Show Video
Did You Miss Part 1?
If you missed Part 1 of “Direct Mail Statistics” you can see it by CLICKING HERE….
Schedule a 1 on 1 call with me to talk about specific strategies for building your brand and creating more effective marketing for your business. You can do that here by clicking this link.
Have you subscribed to the blog? If not be sure to do that today so you don’t miss any of the business building tips I have coming your way. I want this year to be your best year ever! And if you enjoyed this article, please share it.